Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wild Webcomic Review, 16 - 20

I'm not sure how my numbering system got so out of wack, starting on 5 or 0 instead of ending there.  I'll have to fix that in the future.  On with the reviews!

January 4, 2003

16. Bob the Angry Flower - This flower is damn angry, and insane, and well armed. Every strip is something different and unique, covering things from global politics to quantum mechanics, and usually resulting in the complete destruction of something, usually Bob, the angry flower at the center of it all. Hell, he is the one banned by the UN from using a tank. To open jars. Did I mention he was insane? Well he is. Just go read the damn thing, or else an army of robots will be visiting you in the near future.

August 1, 2003 - Still angry, still a flower, still funny.

October 11, 2006 - Format changed a bit, but the comic is still basically the same. I've heard some say the humor has fallen off a bit, and perhaps it has, but it's still significantly better than most comics on the web today.

TODAY - Yes, I still read Bob, and yes I still enjoy it.  No problems with it at all.

17. Choppingblock - Butch is a killer, a very tortured killer. It's hard to be a killer in this day and age, after all. This comic is morbid, twisted and at moments damn funny. Violence, death, dismemberment, cannibalism, cruel mothers, hockey masks and whatever else the twisted artist can come up with, it has everything a growing boy needs. Girls too. It's funny, but your sense of humor has to be touched warped to truly enjoy it. I, of course, loved it.

August 1, 2003 - Artist got a new addition to the family a couple weeks ago. No, the kid's name isn't Butch.

October 11, 2006 - This comic has gone on mini-hiatuses so much, I actually stopped reading. It also seems to have lost a bit of its punch.

TODAY - I think it's updating again, but I can't be too sure.  The point is, I stopped reading it and tracking it not because it's a bad comic or anything, but because there's only so much you can do with a killer like Butch, and I think he did everything, so what was the point on still reading?  There wasn't one, so the last hiatus meant I really didn't care any more.  It was fun while it lasted though.

18. Demonology 101 - This is the only other comic on this list that fits into the "drama" category more often than not (the other is Jack). It takes its cue from Buffy, then goes its own way. The plot is long term, usually requiring several months to fully develop, and even then the main line has just begun (similar to how Sea of Insanity is going). The characters are pretty depressing on a level though, almost always harping on the unfairness of their simple existence. Angst is annoying after a while folks. Still, it's not bad, and deserves at least an initial read through of the first episode. Though those noses are damn weird.

August 1, 2003 - It's coming to a close, and it's probably at the point where that's a good thing. Faith has started a new comic, but you have to pay to read the archives, so I'll give this one a pass, I'm afraid.

October 11, 2006 - It's still one of the better comics of its type I've ever read, so go read it if you haven't. As for that new comic, it went to free not too long ago, so now you can catch up on that. In fact, I reviewed it, so look for Ice on the list here.

TODAY - Not much to say here aside from Ice being a much tighter story than Demonology.  Does it mean you shouldn't read it?  Hell no!  I should go back and reread it some time as well.

19. College Roomies from Hell - Finally, the last one. Where Machall screws up the college angle by having too much college, Roomies has no such problem. College is more along the lines of a white noise that only rises to the surface when the regular stuff takes a nap. The regular stuff is out there. Mutations, curses, possessions, the devil, and evil siblings run amuck through this thing. And it's all done with a shrug and a smile. Sort of like Sluggy (a lot like Sluggy in fact), only with fewer aliens, and no Bun-Bun (though they have replacements for him). And it's nearly as old. If you love Sluggy, this will either feel like a rip off, or like home away from home.

August 1, 2003 - The charm of the early days are fading, but there's enough to keep me interested, for now. Think of the term "on the bubble" and you'll have a much better idea what I mean.

October 11, 2006 - That charm that was fading basically curled up and died. I haven't read it in, well, a while now. I don't really miss it, honestly.

TODAY - I still don't miss it.

February 21, 2003

20. Fans! - I wanted to like this comic, I really did. After reading the College Roomies from Hell crossover, the greatest of all the crossovers I've read, I had high hopes for Fans. They were far too high. Perhaps I'm not geek enough for it, or just too overly burnt out from webcomics to appreciate its finer points, but it didn't grab me, at all. The characters weren't as interesting as I thought they would be, the various story plots didn't seem to work very well, and the art. . . Let me stop there and say nothings wrong with the art, as long as they stick to the original artist! Guest artists, in most comics, rarely lasts more than a week, then its back to the traditional style. Fans! uses their guest artists for entire chapters, and it hurts. Of all their guests, I think only one of them fit the general style any, and that was the second one. Beyond that, I went into a depression when they switched artists. Of course, I'm a freak, so you might like it. I, however, slid it into my "Non-read" folder.

TODAY - I suppose I should probably give Fans! another shot, it has been, what, six years since I did this review.  But not now, I've got other fish to fry.

Of this batch, only Bob remains on the read list, while Demonology 101 ended, the others all went into the non-read pile.  20 down, 165 to go.  This is going to take a while. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment