Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wild Webcomic Review, 21 - 25

This entry is going to be a weird one.  First we have two comics that are actually the same comic, but four comics at the same time.  Yeah, it's odd.  And then there's one that won't be around much longer, but not for the reasons you might think.  Let's begin, shall we?

February 21, 2003

21. Krakow - Basically, this is a college comic, the kind you'd find in a college paper. Or it was until recently. Pretty basic idea, two guys living life, perhaps in college, maybe not, hard to tell. Eventually they add on a succubus, and hijinks ensue. It's funny, sometimes, but nothing to write home about. But like I said, it was the two comics together that were great, speaking of which. . .

August 1, 2003 - Went to Hell, literally. The evil demon polishing the shotgun was a nice touch.

October 11, 2006 - Went to Hell again. This comic is still weird and funny, and definitely worth the read, if for the off beat humor and all.

22. Krakow 2.0 - Also a pretty basic comic about an assassin for higher. Unlike 1.0, its nearly all black and white (except for the assassin's eyes and the blood), contrasting quite nicely with 1.0. The plot is nice though, the assassin, in the quest for cash, kidnaps wealthy daughter from private school with guarded by several heavily armed nuns. . . Uh, anyways, she gets the kid out, and hijinks ensue. With lots of violence. For something similar, dig through Poe's (Exploitation Now and Errant Story) archives and look for Babylon Jones. Very similar in ideas, except with out the immortality thing (though it does have a joke with an arm).

August 1, 2003 - Coming to an end? I hope not, it's too good to die yet.

October 11, 2006 - Well, it didn't really end, it just ceased being Krakow 2.0. It became Marlith (which is the link I used above) and went through at least a couple different artists with the same writer as before. It is still pretty awesome in that way. Go, read, enjoy.

TODAY - Krakow and Krakow 2.0 were, originally, released side-by-side.  Two comics for one price.  All on the same webcomic page.  Two comics that are one, got that?  Well, then he "spun" Krakow 2.0 and created Marlith, which is the next chapter of Krakow 2.0.  Marlith went through several artists and ended about two months ago.  Then Krakow ended shortly thereafter and he started his current comic, Charliehorse, which I haven't officially reviewed yet.  Why not?  Because it's basically Krakow, just with different characters and a bit more story.  So here we have two comics that are actually one comic that spawned two more comics bringing the total to four.

Luckily for you, this is as complicated as webcomics get.

23. Sinfest - Ever wonder what Calvin from the classic Calvin and Hobbes would be like if he grew up? You neither? Well, I think he might be something like Slick. In fact, Sinfest is, in my opinion, the only comic I've ever read that can even remotely claim the space on the funny pages left by Calvin and Hobbes. Of course it's different (it could never be exactly the same), but the style is very, very similar. Hell, the artist even admits the influence, and after the first strip you'll agree with me. A wonderful comic, and I encourage all of you to read it, at least once. You won't be disappointed.

August 1, 2003 - I've come to the conclusion that it has one joke. In spite of this, I can't get enough of it.

October 11, 2006 - My conclusion was wrong, it has more than one joke. At least one of those jokes is on me. I'm not as enthusiastic as I was about it, but I still enjoy it enough to look forward to reading it every day.

TODAY - I still read it, I still enjoy it.  I highly recommend it.

July 7, 2003

24. Ordinary Day - This comic represents the greatest problem on the internet and the world. NOT FINISHING WHAT YOU START! The strip is good, funny, violent and all, but when it stops dead after 15 pages and barely updates (added two pages in a separate storyline) in two months or more, all I can say is RAARGH!! I wish it would get going on a more timely schedule so we could enjoy it more. Until then, it'll have to sit in my Dead Comic folder in my bookmarks. A damn shame.

TODAY - This is the comic that is going to die completely:  It's on Geocities.  They're shutting down the old website network, so this comic is going to vanish forever shortly.  It also NEVER updated again, which tells you a lot about it.  Still, I went through and saved all the pages (because I'm tired of comics disappearing forever), and then discovered there is a different "Ordinary Day" out there.  Might read that sometime.

25. Timescapes - Like a PG version of Errant Story. Perhaps that's not exactly fair, but that's all I kept thinking as I read through it. And that's not a bad thing folks. The similarities are there, and anyone who's been following Errant Story should see them right away, but the differences are pretty stark as well. And it works in a fun, interesting way. This one you should watch, I think it could get up there pretty quick.

October 11, 2006 - It died. Damn was that depressing when she wrote that it was ending and that she was sorry. I understand why she did it, real life got in the way and it wasn't coming to together as she would have liked, but I still miss this comic. It was wonderful. I might go back and read the archives again just because I miss it so much.

TODAY - Another one of those that I should go back and read through.  Still, I remember enough to see where it went wrong (the story meandered too much) and while I morn its loss, I feel good knowing that the artist called it off in the end and told everyone.  Better than a lot of comics I know.

Sinfest and Charliehorse/Krakow stay on the list, with Krakow 2.0/Marlith having just ended.  Typical of my 5 comic groupings, I'd say.

Until next time kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment