Friday, July 23, 2010

Wild Webcomic Review 106 - 110

Something good is another set of old reviews.  Yeah, I've been lazy this week.

January 11, 2007


106. Sorcery 101 - Thanks to caerbrigit for pointing this one out. It's a modern day meets the creatures of the night (vampires, werewolves, etc) type strip, and it does it pretty well. It's not deadly serious most of the time, but tries to make it clear that certian things are serious (even if they aren't taken that way at the time). What I find most refreshing is that it is an alternate Earth, so she (the artist) doesn't have to shoe horn our world into it. Give it a whirl at least, I'm still reading it.



TODAY - It's not bad, but I'm not sure if I'm really enjoying it as much as I was earlier.  I don't know what exactly changed, but I almost think of it as an obligation rather than something I enjoy.  That means it's this close to being removed form the read list, but not yet.  Not yet.

107. Haru-Sari - Thanks to kodein for this one. I've had this one sitting in my bookmarks for the longest time, and in fact it was only the other day that I actually sat down and read it. Why? I'm turned off by most manga style comics. Aside from a few (Errant Story among them), they generally don't attract me at all. I'm kind of sorry I feel that way because I almost missed out completely on this one. It's less straight up Japanese style than most, and it's actually, well, good. I found myself drawn in, which is rare. I'll be reading this one for a while.

TODAY -  The on going mystery of what the hell is going on keeps me coming back.  Eventually it should end, eventually, but until then, what an strange trip.  Not going anywhere.

January 22, 2007

108. The World Explodes - There are three stick figure type comics in this batch to review, and, well, this is the worse of the lot. Worse than that even. It tries to be funny, in an extremely crude way (NSFW, BTW), but it fails, repeatedly. It's the kind of things preteen boys come up with while trying to figure out if they're gay or not. It's not funny, it's not entertaining, and it's not worth your time. I know I swore I would read more bad comics, but damn.

October 11, 2008 -  What a change. This comic is still very NSFW, but the difference between when I first read it and what it is now is amazing. And it comes in the form of two words: Story arc. That's right, he turned this mess of a comic and gave it a story, starting with a play on a fairy tale, and things went up from there. I don't think I've ever had a comic go from the bottom of the list bad comics and get right into my regular rotation, but this one did it. The latest story isn't that great, tried to include too many characters I think, made it too epic, but even so, it is still worth reading now. Sick, isn't it?

TODAY -  It's dead, even BEFORE the re-review went up, it was dead.  Didn't know it at the time.  It's a bummer, actually, even the last story was fun and interesting, but I think perhaps the artist had the same thought I did:  It was too epic, there was no way to match it again.  Still, I'm glad I went back to this one, still worth it.

109. Cyanide and Happiness - Everything The World Explodes attempts to do, Cyanide and Happiness manages to do in a spectacular fashion. It's funny, primarily, and that alone makes this comic worth the energy. Yeah, sometimes the jokes fall flat, but when they hit, they're great. It's simple, fun, and generally mindless. Go, read, enjoy. Be happy.


TODAY - They've done some videos, animations, and those are JUST as funny as the actual comic.  I've even seen this comic IN book stores, in book form of course.  It deserves it, this comic is one of those great, silly, stupid comics that you simply must read.

110. A Divine Dramedy - Within the first 10 or so strips, the three main characters get their heads chopped off. Two of them have it done twice. It's alright, they're dead already. Maybe it's because I just got done reading it, but I really enjoyed this comic, probably more than I should have. The art is wonderful in my eyes, the humor is spot on, and the whole thing is just, I don't know, great would be a good term. Perhaps it'll wear off, but I'm thinking it won't.

TODAY -  This one is the one I am most embarrassed about.  Don't get me wrong, the comic was pretty good, but not as good as I seem to be saying in the review, and I'm embarrassed by that.  Which doesn't matter because it's MIA.  The artist still has a site (linked) but the comic itself is gone.  No idea where it went.  Perhaps I should be happy about that, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, enough of this.  Let us move on.  See you next week kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment