Friday, February 11, 2011

Touching Base #5

Another edition of touching base to get you caught up on what's going on with the various comics.

Totally Kotor ended last week.  The Star Wars based fan comic, with it's simple art style and generally unnecessary use of flash, finally finished up the Knights of the Old Republic (I and II) storylines.  While I could give an indepth analysis on the comic, as I did for Girly and Parallel Dementia before it, I think I'll just settle for saying it's done.  Considering the artist has two comics currently running (Totally Crossover and the new Special Level) I consider this less a good bye as an evolution beyond the simple constraints of the old comic.  Of course, there's always the possibility of it returning in the future (Old Republic MMO is based in the same universe).

Brat-halla went into a hiatus a bit ago, and it has converted to indefinite recently.  Artistic burnout and other projects have pretty much killed it, which is depressing, but unsurprising.  They want to continue the last story, but when they do it is the question.









On the Edge is also going on indefinite hiatus for similar reasons.  I am hoping she finishes Wonderland (an expansion on the basic comic) but that moves very slowly, so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

More hiatus news comes from Shadowgirls.  I'm not quite clear as to why, except that they have some sort of book deal in the works and something about changing the "business model" of their comic.  Considering it started as and was published as a free webcomic, that may mean they're looking to going to a pay model, possibly purely in print form.  Good for them, bad for me as I have no money.  We'll see what happens.

Speaking of money, Contemplating Rekio has suspended updates due to some financing conflicts with Google over advertisements.  Will it return?  I have no idea.  I can hope so as I need a little bit of evil in my life.



Sadly, it looks as if Lizzy may be dead.  A short comic that was filling in for the main comic ended months ago, and there are no updates, news posts or, well anything, from the artist since.

The Wotch is doing the same thing.  There was supposed to be a guest comic arc starting in December, but it never came.  The news posts are shockingly quiet.  I suppose there might be activity in their forums (there is an active forum community), but I don't read most comic forums, so I don't know what's going on.  God, all these dead or dying comics news is depressing me.  Is there any good news out there?

Oh wait, Gypsy! started updating again!  Yes, there was a bit of a stall in updating through the holidays and most of January, but it's back to updating again, so great.  I love when comics come back to life.



I haven't talked about it, but Kiwis By Beat, where the comic Minus was born, continues to add comics.  The current strips there are Great and Modern Fried Snake.  While Great has been going on longer, I think I prefer Modern Fried Snake of the two.  Minus, of course, blows both out of the water, but that's another story.




The Pain has updated, a bit, kind of.  Sort of.  Ever since the artist stopped getting paid to draw a weekly comic (they were published in a periodical), he's sort of slacked off on updates.  Meaning there have been a handful in the last year or so.  And not all of them are comics.  Still, it does still occasionally update, so I'm fine with it, for now.



Finally the Webcomic List gave out their awards for 2010.  Many of nominees are comics I read, but few actually won.  I think I'll dedicate an article to breaking that down.  In the meantime, you can read the "award show" here.  Warning, it's in comic form, and there is no list on the site, which is annoying.

Well that's it for this edition of Touching Base.  See you next time kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment