Friday, April 8, 2011

Wild Webcomic Reviews 136 - 140

Here we are, another batch of old reviews for you to view.  Mostly because I have an idea for another series of articles, but, um, I finally installed Fallout 3 and have been kind of distracted. . .

March 14, 2007

136. Nothing Nice to Say - Another resident of the "I don't know what's going on but it's good anyway." It's about punk, the music and culture, and I know next to nothing about it. Which means most of the jokes go completely past me. But, like the Whiteboard (a paintball comic), it doesn't focus all it's humor power on just punk references, and when it does it tries to present them in a way that it's still a real joke. Enjoyable for that, but it hasn't updated since January, so I don't know if it's dead or just on hiatus (seems to go through that if you look through the archives).


TODAY - It updated a bit after this review, then died.  Probably won't update again (It's been almost 3 years at this point).  I really don't remember much about it, so it didn't leave much of an impression.

137. The Broken Mirror - It's a novel they're turning into a comic. A rather lengthy novel at that. It's a bit wordy because of this (less action, more narration that probably necessary), but it also has barely begun (DON'T read the character section as some of the characters haven't even been introduced yet!). Might be worth reading for a bit, seeing where this all goes, then making a decision on whether to keep reading it to the end.

TODAY - Dead and gone.  I've heard that the author of the comic (not the artist) got into a tiff with some people critical of their work and then the site just vanished.  May be a coincidence, but who knows. It had some decent ideas and I think it could have gone somewhere, but it didn't and now is gone for good.

138. Punch an' Pie - Speaking of comics that have just started, here's one with only 5, count them, 5 strips. That's it. That's the whole comic (it's why I had to dig out another comic for this review). Is it good? Hell if I know, IT ONLY HAS 5 STRIPS! Looks like it could be though. Good idea to start this one early, you might be reading it for a long time.


TODAY - Five strips when I started reading it, and I never stopped.  This is still one of the better relationship style comic I've read.  It's had some twists and turns over the years but it feels like it's grown rather than just continued on.  This is one of those comics I really need to do a full review on some day.

139. The Dreamland Chronicles - I've reviewed many comics (139 now), and most are hand drawn, a few are built with old sprites, and nearly all of them have some level of computer graphics work done to them before they're posted. That said, this is the only one that is completely, 100%, 3D rendered. It looks like those Pixar movies, so when they don't move, it's really creepy looking. I'm serious on this. Is the comic good? Well, it reminds me of something I wrote when I was 9 years old, only they're trying to make it a bit more mature. Not a lot, but a bit (the main character is in his 20s, which is important to the story actually). I don't think I'll be following it any more, but it's probably because I outgrew it a long time ago. You might like it better.

TODAY - Still updating, I'm still not reading it, but it looks like (from the two strips I checked) that it may be nearing it's natural end.  Could be wrong on that, of course.

May 21, 2007

140. The Book of Biff - Biff learns a lot of lessons in this comic. A LOT of lessons. And what the hell is up with his eyebrows? It's got funny moments and certianly keeps me entertained. But still, eyebrows. . .

TODAY - It's a daily strip that keeps me coming back because of, well, weird stuff.  It's not the best daily strip I read, but it's good enough to keep my attention.  Those eyebrows are still weird.

Enough for this week.  Hopefully next week I won't be as distracted.  Hopefully.  Until then kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment