Friday, August 16, 2013

Something's Different

Can't quite put my finger on it. . .

Just kidding.  Well, what do you think of the new look?  It's been LONG in coming.  As in, the day after I created the damn thing.  I held off because I had a dream of making a decent logo image for the name and base the look off of that.  I didn't, so I didn't change the look, until now.

Why?  Well, a couple of reasons.  One, the green/brown/white combo was getting old, but I just said that.  No, the real reason is The New List.   The table format I used on it looked like crap on the old site design, on this new one it looks OH so much better. Look at it, is it not magnificent?  I wasn't kidding when I said a lot of links.  245 comic links, 49 review links and 21 assorted links put on that page.

Sadly, 24 are dead and gone, missing from the internet.  That said, counting my hiatus comics, I read 90 comics right now.  I shouldn't be surprised at that number, but I am.  Dumbfounded even.  It's less than half, sure, but with 34 complete comics, I'm damn near close to half of all my reviews being at least worth reading, if not active.

I spent a lot of time rechecking links and, much to my surprise, some comics I called dead AREN'T any more, ones I like even.  So next week, I'll be doing a Touching Base and bringing back comics that I thought for sure were gone forever.  I'm actually kind of excited by this.  Almost want to just do it now, but there are other fish to fry.

I made one minor change to the Newspaper List, removing Buckles.  Never thought I'd see a DEAD newspaper comic link, but there it is.  I think a lot of it has to do with the syndicates (King Syndicate specifically) and how they wrangle their comics.  The strong strips can keep and maintain their own sites, but the weaker ones (like Buckles) are at their mercy.  Or the artist is just too damn lazy to update the site.  Likely a bit of both if the few news posts there are to be believed.

I've updated the Categories Page to more accurately reflect the proliferation of labels for my various articles.  Specifically, I made a handy link for things like The Standard series amongst other things, and any future series will have a link there.  I've added a lot of links, refined some, and updated some other stuff (at one point, there was 2 Touching Base #11's for some reason).  I even broke out my Nothing posts because it makes it easier to sort in the background.  I've thought about adding more series links in the future, generally on similar topics, but for now this will work.

There is another minor change to come, but I'm saving that for the anniversary.  It's nothing major, but something I probably should have done a while ago.  Next week, Touching Base wherein I resurrect some long dead favorites.  Until then kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment