Friday, August 23, 2013

Touching Base #14

Still getting used to the design?  I know I am, I almost forget I'm looking at my own site.

Anyway, as I said last week, I found more than a few dead comics as I was shuffling through that were, in fact, updating.  That's not to say I didn't KNOW some of these were updating, I did, but a few caught me off guard.  Most of the stuff in this edition of Touching Base is about them, but not all.

Before I get to those comics, I would like to mention that The Devil's Panties has setup a Kickstarter for. . . Devil Girl dolls.  Huh.  Not something I'm interested in, but I'm betting fans of the comic are wetting themselves over it.  Still, at least it's not issues with publishing.

Twilight Lady has been featuring an alternate day comic called Vine for the last month or so.  It's a black and white urban fantasy type thing that I've only been half following.  It's weird, so far, but nothing really stand out to me.  I'll keep tabs on it, but don't expect it in a review in the near future.

Vampire Cheerleaders went off on a brief tangent after the crossover, and then dove right back into the crossover.  Um, this is supposed to be vampire cheerleaders, right?  Not the Paranormal Mystery Squad, right?  We'll see how it all pans out, I guess.

Bug officially changed it's name (and url) to Bug Martini in order to better control the brand and such.  This was a bit ago, but I have updated the links in The New List and in the side bar.

I haven't been following any of the branching strips from Out There, mostly because I have a full plate, but also to give them some strips to gain traction first.  That said, I'm still on the fence as to whether the switch from a daily, 3 or 4 panel strip to a weekly full page/color strip was a good fit for Out There.  I don't know if the comic really gained anything in the transition.  I'll give it a bit longer, then read In Here and Cliche Flambe and see how those two work.  I suspect the move for Out There was specifically to power up the other two, so maybe that's what was gained.

Okay, enough of that, let's talk about the comics that aren't dead any more.

Okay, first up is Marry Me, which I've know has been back in action for a bit now.  I stopped reading because it ceased updating and because the main story was kind of over.  I wasn't strictly in love with the sequel/prequel story, but I was willing to give it a chance, and still am.

Our Time in Eden has been updating MUCH longer than Marry Me, but I just never got back to it.  It went on hiatus for a couple years, and I kind of gave it up for dead, but it did come back, last year.  I knew it was updating, but with so much on my plate, I just didn't want to spend the time reading it again.  Of course, now I do, so it'll be back on the read list.

The biggest surprise is Gone with the Blastwave, which I never expected to update again.  Oh, it's slow (probably end up on the Monthly list), but it's updating.  I love that.

Same with the Perry Bible Fellowship.  I was sure at one point the artist declared it dead, but apparently not.  It updates very slowly, like bi-monthly, but it does update.  Will I follow it?  Um, yeah, for a bit, at least until I can't stand the long wait between updates any more.  Only a couple comics get away with it, and I'm not sure PBF deserves to.

Another surprise return was On The Edge.  It went on hiatus for quite some time, due apparently to a good job offer for the artist (I approve of these kinds of hiatuses, BTW), a house, a marriage and something about cakes (I also approve of cakes).  It's back now, looks to be on a weekly-ish schedule, and I'll be following it almost immediately.

Way back in 2006, I found two comics and a webcomic reviewer on a single site, and enjoyed all three.  The reviewer is Tangents, and the comics are Gun Street Girl and No Stereotypes.  Then that single website kind of fell apart.  Tangents I managed to keep following, but No Stereotypes kind of vanished, and Gun Street Girl moved to another site, and I kind of stopped following it.  Well, doing up the list meant I spent some time checking in on Gun Street Girl, and it added at least few extra stories, but I'm not sure it still updates.  Still, I think I should re-read it, but I can't just leave it with it's old review, but a new review, a "re-review" as it were.  I'll set up a group of comics for a re-review in the future, and Gun Street Girl will be there.  No Stereotypes also reappeared, and the archive has been slowly been recreated, so I might do that as a re-review later, but not until it's caught back up.

The oddest return, though, was Angels 2200.  It was a year and a half between the previous update and the current update, which is already almost 2 months old.  No news posts saying what happened, no comment from the creator at all in fact.  It's almost as if it was an automatic update or something.  Given that lack of information that it will be back, I'm going to have to leave it on the dead list for a while because, well, I have no idea where to put it.  Hiatus maybe, but I'm not so sure it will ever update again, and Non-Read is reserved for comics that are active, but I don't read.  So I'll go ahead and leave it dead, but I'll have to check on it once in a while because who knows, maybe that update in June was a sign of things to come.  Or it the scheduling got messed up and it posted it 18 months too late.  We'll see.

And that's about it for this week.  Until next time kiddies when I have, um, something.

No comments:

Post a Comment