Friday, October 25, 2013

Going Critical: Conclusion

I don't think I really made this clear, so I will say it out right:  Critics do not want to HATE anything.  They want it to be BETTER.  Well, good ones do.

At the very least, I never go into a comic, book or game wanting to hate it.  I love reading comics, I wouldn't have 90+ comics on my read list if I didn't.  When I look for a comic to review, I look for one I want to read.  Even Blade Kitten I went in more curious than anything else.  I want to add comics to my read list, it's something that makes me happy.

That doesn't mean those comics couldn't be better.  I loved Perchance to Dream, as a concept, but it was so frustrating the way it played out, to the point I STILL kind of want to rewrite it.  Sluggy Freelance has had it's bad moments (it's gotten better recently), and it deserves to be criticized for it's failings.  Sinfest has been changing it's general direction for a while and maybe that's not for the best.  Just to name a few.

The real point is how the creator takes the criticism.  I already highlighted a moment when the author of a fanfiction reacted poorly to my criticisms.  I guess my best suggestion is to at least understand WHY something is an issue.  Whether it's an issue to you or not doesn't matter, it's why it's one to them.  Don't try to please the critic, but understand why they aren't pleased and use it as a reference for if your work could be improved, even if it doesn't strictly go the way they want.

The best way, though, is to ask questions.  Ask the critics to clarify their points.  Express your own concerns over your work and see if they agree.  Maybe even ask if they have a suggestion or two.  Don't ignore the destructive criticisms, but don't take them personally.  Remember, good critics want your work to be better, they aren't there to destroy it and make you cry.

Finally, remember that you're your own worst critic.  And I mean you're awful at it.  You will ignore your own mistakes more often than not, over focus on things that aren't issues, or just decide it doesn't need improvement at all.  Knowing that is the first step to being a better creator, and a better critic of others.  I tried to highlight some of my issues writing this blog, but there are so many posts (200+ at this point) and so many topics and comics, I just can't remember them all, or read them all.  I know I've missed things, made mistakes or haven't described them as well as I intended.

In the end, I do the best I can, and I will continue to for as long as I am able.  That's all any critic or creator can ever do.  Working together though, we can hopefully make each other better.

Well, that's another series of articles done.  Mostly I did it because, well, I've been on the road this entire time.  Texas actually, looking for work.  So writing ahead gave me time to work on, well, getting a job that is more than flipping burgers or something.  I'm too old for that anyway.  Point is, next week, something to do directly with webcomics, I hope.  Until then kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment